Google

Monday, January 31, 2005

Seasons

It seems as if everyone has a favorite season. Is it spring, summer, fall, or winter?

Some people do not like cold weather, or the white stuff... and so prefer the hot weather. Give me summer all year round, they say. Who needs grass and green stuff? You can swim in the pool year round. And, so, they move to southern Arizona.

Some people just don’t like the season they’re living in. It’s either too cold, or too hot... or “I sure wish the snow would get here” or “I’m ready to go swimming, but it’s not warm enough yet.”

For me? Well, like anybody else, I do get tired of the winter, if it’s been a long couple of months of sub-freezing weather. Or tired of the summer after a few days of 100+ degree weather. But, basically, I love all of those seasons.

As I am writing this, it’s winter. It’s been a little cold lately, and a warm break would be nice... but I am not ready for the snow to leave yet. It only just started a few weeks ago. I would love to see a nice four-foot storm come through and dump on us. I know – that’s a little overkill. But gosh, what’s winter for, anyway?

But, when the snows begin to melt, and springtime starts to come, I sure do love it when those seeds that were covered all winter, seemingly dead, all of a sudden “spring” back to life. I like to put my bare feet in freshly turned soil – putting some seeds down that will soon be row upon row of some vegetable or flower or fruit. Then the trees begin to bud and blossom and fragrance fills the air.

And then, before you know it, summertime hits. If you’re lucky, you continue to get periods of rain... Grass and flowers and trees grow like crazy... until it dries up, of course. You can get outside and work, soaking up the sunlight... or hike.... the days are long and nights are warm.

Toward the end of summer, a few fall storms start to form. The nights begin to frost over, and then – next thing you know, there are beautiful colors all around you. It’s like driving through a painting – at least for a week or two. This is really one of my favorite times of year... just like the others!

And, at last, we’re back at winter again. The first few snowflakes lazily drift to the earth, and soon everything is painted white.

No, in my book, there’s no bad season. Sometimes the weather in one or another tends to do bad things, but overall, I love them all!

No comments: