Google

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Snowy Morning

This morning, there was snow everywhere.... The main roads in town were not too bad, but farther out in the country, the snow was coming down fast and furious. Only a few inches, but enough.

I stopped to take some photos, then went on toward work. After I left the one back road that crosses over the mountain, and turned onto a state highway in the middle of nowhere, I was at first the only car on the road.

I had gone no more than a mile or so till I saw someone approaching from behind. I sped up, so that I wouldn't hold her up, but I was uncomfortable with that speed on those roads, so when I saw a pulling off area ahead, I turned my signal on.

Just as I did so, I looked in the mirror, and she had tapped her brakes. On the downhill grade where she was at, she lost control of her car, spun across to the other side, then skidded back, finally coming to rest facing the direction we came from.

I finished stopping and backed up, and got out to offer assistance.

Her door was against the guard rail, and her front bumber and grill were slightly bend inward, but the car was still running and no sign of structural damage. She was shaken up a bit, and her grand-daughter in the back seat was crying, but no one was hurt.

I suggested that she might want to go ahead and move her car, since someone else topping the slight hill might repeat her moves, and then ... well - I don't imagine it would have been good.

Her car just sat there and spun, so she tried backing up - gaining a few inches, and then I told her to turn hard right and move forward. She did so, and was able to get back up the road. She turned around and drove back to where I was parked, and pulled off.

She was going to call someone but where we were there was no signal. But since her car was still running fine, she decided to continue on down through Harrisburg and return the little girl. I followed her into the city and then turned off and came into work.

No one was hurt. A car damaged, but it could have been much worse. I feel kinda bad, for turning on my signal to pull off, but at the same time I recognize that she WAS moving a bit fast for conditions, and I was way up ahead of her so could have gotten over way before she got there.

I think someone was watching over us all. :)

-- and for the record, I did resist the urge to document the scene with my camera. I thought it would be in bad taste. In addition, I did follow her all the way into the city without stopping even though I had planned to stop here and there and capture you some snow scenes.

Guess the ones I got before the incident will have to do!

(Note: The following will redirect you to my Picasaweb page, and the files in this album are 'video' files, and rather large, so I wouldn't recommend that you attempt it unless you have a high-speed connection).




The moment a little boy is concerned with which is a jay and which is a sparrow, he can no longer see the birds or hear them sing.
-- Eric Berne

4 comments:

amber said...

I would say someone was really watching over the both of you! I am glad no one was hurt! Be Carefull in all of that snow!

Arkansawyer said...

It's all off the roads now (for the most part) ... but they say some of the worst blizzards hit PA in March so we might not be done for good!

TwoMedicineMan said...

You Numbah Won, GI, Numbah Won. If I were stranded on the road, I can't imagine anyone else I would want consoling me. What does it take, BTW, to fluster you?

Arkansawyer said...

"What does it take to fluster me?"

You don't wanna know. But thanks!