Google

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Happy Easter

At 2am... okay 1:58 but who's counting?

Now, why in the world would I be up at this hour anyway?

Well, it's like this. About a half-hour ago, I came jerking up out of a solid slumber... (or was I in a dream and it just felt solid?? Not quite sure on that front) ...hearing my 7 year old doing things she shouldn't in the middle of the night.

So up i got and off did trot.

It seems that upset tummy she had before bed finally caught up with her... and there it was, lying on her bed. Next to her, under her, on top of her.

It's always been my job to get up with the kids at night. My radar goes off when it's time, and it's a duty I don't take lightly. It's one of the greatest benefits to parenthood (and no... I do not say that sarcastically). Sometimes, when a kid is sick for days at a time, it does get old... but it's been one of the times when a parent can bond with a kid like no other time. When you're sick and someone is there, to make you feel better, that's always a good thing!

There's nothing like leading a child to the bathroom to finish their barfing next to the throne, while you go clean up their bed. In this case, there was so much on the bed, I pulled bedding, pillows and all, up and tossed them in the tub. Then I laid a new blanket down, and another... and she already had an extra pillow, so I got her set up.

And then I went and checked on her. To find, indeed, that she really did lay back down in it. That is, it was not only on her face and body and neck, it was also well pressed into her hair.

So off we went to the other bathroom, and I turned the shower on, adjusted the temperature, and got her into it... washed her hair out... dried her off, got her in new bedshirt... and off to bed... till Round 2.

Now, Round 2 was nothing. She made it to the bathroom with no problem. There was only a little anyways. So I got her up and put her here in the easy chair with me. A few minutes later she was snoring, so I said, you ready to go to bed?

"Uh-huh..."

So off we went. About the time we got there, she says, "I think..." I could see it in her eyes, so, "C'mon"... and back to the bathroom again. This time, it was very short-lived. Only a retch or two and back to bed, with a trashcan alongside.

Experience tells me she's probably done now. But I am wide-awake for the moment. I thought I'd take this quiet moment to wish you the happiest of Easters, too... May yours be as full of spice and adventure as mine!

1 comment:

Arkansawyer said...

Thanks! I'll post a picture or two later on... but yeah, she got up feeling pretty darn bad still this morning. But by afternoon, she was able to go hunt some eggs. She even ate a nibble of her chocolate bunny (Nestle Crunch, of course) and a little bit of mac and cheese, but that was about it...