Google

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Heaven's Light

Earlier this year, I took a photograph that awed me. I was headed into town to get some things, my son in tow, and saw the sunlight slanting down through the clouds. I turned off Powell's Valley Rd, parking beside Sheetz Road... Climbed up the bank to the cornfield above the road. And took this photo, with the church beyond.

Those of you who regularly check my blog have seen some version of this in the past. I am not resurrecting a dead image here for no reason, so bear with me. This is, as a amateur photographer, my favorite all-time photo (that I have, myself, taken):



Through my account on DeviantArt.com I have come into contact with people all around the world, of various interests and talents, most at least somewhat artistically inclined. Enter Karen, one of my newest "friends", from the Netherlands.

She commented on a river-reflections photo that I posted recently, and said something about someday perhaps painting a version of it. I told her she was welcome to, anytime.

I didn't right away, but eventually, told her that I'd like to see my favorite photo painted. This was like two days ago. This morning when I looked at my 'watch list' of new pieces, this was there. Wow!!! I am so honored and flattered by her interpretation. This was done as an oil painting, the photographed for this display.

5 comments:

Annie said...

Your friend Karen did a wonderful interpretation of your photo. Both are so beautiful and very inspiring. Isn't heaven just behind those clouds?

Anonymous said...

Very nice painting. It's always a great feeling to take a photo that inspires others.

Arkansawyer said...

Yes, she did... and yes, it is. :)

It was an honor to have that painting done. I have a copy of the photograph print in a large format, but I'd love to get a large copy made of her version, too.

karen said...

Oh James!!! what an honor!!!!! i only saw your message this morning, I am still learning how to use Da. and that is why I am so late in responding..sorry! but i am truly humbled by you gesture to write about AND show my painting, Thank you , thank you so very much!i will one day paint something else for you... warm regards

Arkansawyer said...

Karen, you're welcome here anytime. I have been a little slow to write in the past few months - been a bit distracted by the camera thing. :)

Thank you for the painting.