Google

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Harry Potter - The Deathly Hallows

Last evening, for the first time in my thirty-something years, I went and stood in a line to do something like a movie, book, or whatever. I wasn't as die-hard as many Harry Potter fans... I didn't stop in to get my "bracelet" (to get a book at midnight) early in the morning or afternoon BUT I did get to Borders in Harrisburg around 9:30. And yes, even then, there was a line going out of the bookstore just for those of us who had pre-ordered the book.
I saw a number of amusing sites last night... Harrisburg has now apparently become Harrysburg. :) How cool is that?!?
 

There were loads of interesting folks there at the Grand Ball...


One of the questions everyone asks is "is Severus Snape good or evil?" Although I have read the book, I will not give out spoilers. (Go read the book and quit googling it...)

Okay, so for the first time, I tried a few different varieties of Bertie Bott's beans. The Booger flavor was not too hot... Earthworm tasted a little like dirt (yes, umm, I HAVE tasted dirt before)... But although I thought earthworm was bad, I absolutely stopped trying them after rotten egg. In fact, that one stayed with me till I got in line for a coffee to scald out my mouth (and with the crowds present at the store, it took about a half an hour just to get one large black coffee).


There were fun and games... Obviously costume prizes given away, and a 'Great Snape Debate'.

The last photo here, I took at midnight, almost on the dot... The store was packed, people being lined up inside to buy the book - and this line outside - for people who hadn't even gotten a bracelet to get in line to buy the book (no this was NOT the book-buying line, just the line to check in if you were going to buy a book).
I got there around 9:30, but by the time I got my book it was a few minutes before 2AM.
Now it's 1:15am the next night, and yes, I read the book. Awhile back, I read the last Lemony Snicket 'Series of Unfortunate Events' book and there were tons of loose ends. I will have to commend J.K. Rowling on the lack of obvious loose ends... And, yeah, unlike Douglas Adams 5 book "trilogy" of the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I did not throw the book across the room in disgust - but at the same time, I just spent over $20 on it, so ...
I won't say whether I was happy with the ending or not, but I will tell you that it was well-written and kept me entertained for many of the last 22 hrs (Yes, I did stop and sleep for a few hours last night... )
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

People must be really bored or crazy to stand in line that long ! Just my personal country opion for what it is worth. Sis

Arkansawyer said...

Well, I guess I agree. I bet one of your daughters would have done it if she'd been able to be there.. :)

amber said...

Now why do you have to go and tell mom that? She thinks I'm crazy already..LOL! Where did you find those beans by the way. I haven't seen them sold anywhere around here. I would love to buy some to give as gifts...and maybe...maybe try them..if i ever get up the nerve. -redeyedpig

Arkansawyer said...

the one picture of a lady walking around giving out jelly beans... the yellowish looking ones... those were the rotten egg ones.

They had them at the bookstore.

Maybe I'll bring some home for the reunion... :) raffle them off.

Anonymous said...

sounds good to me. can't wait to see you - redeyedpig