Google

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

The Apple

My niece, the dreamer, once said she was going to grow up to be an apple tree. Now, I don't know about that. She's grown now, but doesn't appear to be much of an apple tree. However, my friend and I had an email exchange about an apple today:

My friend said, "I have a very small apple for lunch. An apple according to MS Dictionary: a firm round fruit with a central core, red or green skin, and white flesh. How we take something so real, and make it so clinical."

I said, "So, what did the apple look like to you? Describe it's physical appearance to me."

He said, "That is for you writers to write about, and for me to eat."

I said, "The apple sat there, on the desk, calling me, with it's pinkish hues, the light glistening softly off the polished surface, miniscule specks of deeper red here and there, randomly spaced about its skin, and the greenish stem, slightly curved, and wider at the top, leaning there, as if to say, I am a lonely flagpole, just waiting for a flag. "

He said, "Yep, it was a small red apple. Just the facts."

And I said, "Yep. Same thing I said. Almost exactly."

No comments: