Google

Friday, January 20, 2006

Playing with our food

Aren't we taught not to play with our food? It seems like when I was a kid, I'd get in trouble for "playing" with my food. Now, not all of us are like Randy in "A Christmas Story" who is encouraged to eat his food like a little piggie.

In fact, I'd say most of us would have gotten into trouble for it. Reminds me of the time when I was supposed to eat something, and didn't really want to... and when Mom left... some of it would disappear (there was a roll of butcher paper in the corner of the dining room with a plastic cap in the center. You could hide small bits down in there... seems like that might have led to an even worse punishment, but it's all kinda grey, now).

But I digress. Since moving to Pennsylvania, I've seen some pretty amazing things. They grow corn here, in a good year, by the millions of acres. Pumpkins... big, huge pumpkins - jack-o-lantern type as well as "neck pumpkins". But, I am not talking about vegetables, right now, but butter.

Yep, butter. Last weekend, I went to the Pennsylvania Farm Show. It's like the Arkansas State Fair, back home, but only the expo exhibits, rodeos, farm animals and the like. One of the "center pieces" of the show each year, is a "butter sculpture". Now, this guy... Plays with his food (and is compensated for it, to boot). I will post some pictures of this butter sculpture, but first, some facts.

2006 Butter Sculpture
1000 pounds of butter, donated by Land O'Lakes
Funded by PA Dairy Farmers
Tribute to: Progress in PA Dairy Industry
Case Donated by the PA Dept of Agriculture


This is a front view of the Milk Wagon, with two men carrying a crate with ice cream.

This is a back view of the Milk Wagon and ice cream crate.


This is a close up view of the wagon, from the back.

A close-up shot of the ice cream crate.

Another close up shot of the ice cream crate.

4 comments:

okiehillgirl said...

it wasn't ralphie...it was randy

Arkansawyer said...

So noted... and corrected. You know I'm no good with names on movies. Except, I do know that John Wayne, Glenn Campbell, and Katherine Hepburn were all in True Grit/Rooster Cogburn movies! Can't name the little girl who was the "other" main character, though.

Anonymous said...

And that would be little Miss Kim Darby by the way.

Nice photos of the butter sculpture. Never heard of anything like that before.

Thanks...

Arkansawyer said...

Thanks! One of the things I was trying to say and the words didn't make it into the post is that it's like the state fair without the rides. There's a ton of cool "things" that go on there. I may post more pictures later, but I figured this was a good start.