Google

Friday, January 27, 2006

Thundersnow and Flying... Trampolines?

What will they think of next?

A couple of nights ago, we looked out the back door at the lightning as a thunderstorm moved up the valley. The lighting blasted down here and there, getting closer and brighter, and the deep rumbles of thunder could be heard...

When it finally hit our house, there was a minute or two of pounding wind and rain, maybe a little hail mixed in, and then... it was a fierce snowstorm. The ground and air were warm enough, and the storm short-lived enough, that we only got a coating on the ground that was gone in a little while, but while it lasted (10 minutes or so) it was a heck of a storm.

Oddest thing I've seen in a long time weatherwise. Except. Not. That is. Well. Till I found out the "rest of the story".

A half hour or so after the storm passed over, I had to run into town to pick up my son from a school function. The time was nearly 9:30. As I pulled out of our driveway and started down the road, I noticed that, a couple of houses down, there was some metal poles and springs and things laying on the opposite side of the road. I did not want someone to come along and hit them - it was obviously from a trampoline, and the poles could have damaged a car pretty bad, even though they were flat on the road. I stopped, put on my flashers, and moved the poles and springs off to the edge of the road.

As I was stopped there, an older couple came by and stopped, asking if I needed help. I told them I was about done, and they went on. They said down the road a ways was a chair in the road - somebody must have had a big load in their truck and was losing it as they went along. I was thinking, "Man, some people... "

Except... ummm... that is, till I heard the "rest of the story" (same rest as before, coincidentally).

The next morning I got up, and was getting ready to head into work, got in the car, and noticed something odd. There was a big black object hanging from the power lines at my neighbor's house. She was standing out in the yard, in her pajamas, hands on her hips, looking up unbelievingly at this "thing".

When I drove down and pulled over to the side of the road, it dawned on me what it was. It was the remains of her trampoline. It seems that the wind gusts of the short-lived storm must have picked up the trampoline, formerly located in the back yard, behind the house, and either carried it over the house, or around it (and my bet is over because it was directly behind the house and ended up hanging directly in front of the house), and up into the power lines near the road in front of the house.

The poles and springs from the night before. They were on the opposite lane of the road from where the trampoline was dangling. This may be a bad shot, but it's an honest one - no touch ups necessary.

No comments: