Google

Monday, March 27, 2006

Driving to work

Living in central Pennsylvania, I would never have thought that this would be a commonplace event. After all, Pennsylvania was always "up North" or "back East" or "Land of the Yankees" when I was growing up. That is, it was always a part of that big city that is the East Coast.

I even went so far as to say I'd "NEVER" move to a big city - then proved myself wrong by moving into three different state capitals, including Oklahoma City which is a pretty darn large city when you take in all the metro area, too. But I had always managed to stay south of the Mason Dixon line, and in the central time zone, till around 2000, when I moved up north.

So, now I live here. Sure, I live on a paved road, but across the road, right up the road, behind us are acres and acres and acres of corn and other things, like soybeans, and other stuff. Not very far - within sight of our house - is a pleasant pig farm (that is to say, a somewhat malodorous one when the wind is blowing wrong - but otherwise, not too bothersome).

And oftentimes, I take a shortcut to work that for a mile or so is gravel. I get off the paved road a little. And, on Friday, I went this way, and had to stop. There was something blocking my way. My camera had been in the truck overnight, and didn't have much charge left in its battery, but there was enough charge for one photo.

No comments: