Google

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Grocery Trip

Tonight, my son and I drove into town to get some groceries, and it happened to be along about sunset. I couldn't stop myself from pulling off, and snapping a few pictures. It's getting late enough in the year that I can no longer take a picture of my favorite subject, the Lutheran Church in Powell's Valley from the main road, and get the sunset behind it - the sun sets too far north now.

However, there's a side road that goes down past the cornfields... We pulled off, and climbed the rather steep bank to where there'll be acres and acres of corn in a few months, and took quite a few snapshots, while the church stood there and posed for us. Of all the pictures and different angles I took, I think I liked this picture just about the best.

My son said, it looked like I was taking pictures for the church - showing how God himself was shining his light down on the church and highlighting it for all to see.



After we left the church, and headed on toward town, I had one more occasion to pull off and take another couple of pictures. There's a farm, where we can buy fresh brown eggs pretty much anytime we want (which is what the sign in the middle-left of the picture says).




One of these years, I'll figure out how to use my camera for something other than the occasional sunset shot, but for now, that'll do. I suppose sunsets have always been my favorite natural thing to photograph, even since I was a teenager and won a blue ribbon in the county fair back home for a picture of a sunset, with a small cedar tree in the foreground. I had my flash on, and the bright green foliage, with the reds, oranges, yellows and purples of the sunset in the background - it has endured as one of my favorite all-time photos. Maybe, someday, I will scan it in and post it. But for now, this will do.

Good night. Posted by Picasa

No comments: