Google

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Millersburg Ferry

The Millersburg Ferry has been in operation since the early 1800's.

The ferryboat featured in this picture was, I think, "reconstructed" in 1998, and is christened "Roaring Bull V". Information derived from the following site: http://www.millersburg.com/attractions/ferry.html

A few months ago, I happened to catch the ferry coming in at the end of a day of runs:



I took this shot, and framed it with text, and I do like this shot, but I was wanting to come back for more. A couple weeks ago I went back on a Saturday and happened to catch it while loading up and departing. Following is that series of photos, along with some of the comments I received on each on my dA site:

The Floating Barn

Getting Underway

Crossing Over

"I'd be so afraid that thing would sink!"

"It looks like a floating barn."

"It really doesn't look strong enough to take all that."

"It's pretty cool to see a little thing like that hold up two cars and people.... I wanna ride in one of those one of these days..." (my note... there were actually 3 cars on it, along with bicycles and pedestrians).

"They are very brave people to cycle onto that!"

"The thing looks like it is sinking!"

"IT IS SINKING....didn't anyone notice?"

"That looks like a nice ride."

"I'm not too sure i'd want to put my vehicle or myself on that!"

"This picture somehow reminds me of Tom Sawyer.
It is good to see something that reminds me of my childhood."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I would get on that thing. It looks like a 3 foot wave would take it out!-redeyedpig

Betty said...

Great pics! Reminds me of the ferry that used to operate on North Fork Lake, just outside of Mountain Home. I don't think it is still in operation, but might be.

Anonymous said...

Thanks....but no thanks. My decision is based on the last photo. Photo-journalism at work for the faint-of-heart!

I will drive till I find a bridge - thank you!

Arkansawyer said...

and know what? not only does this thing make commutes regularly across the river, but they also do 'special' voyages (ie. an evening cruise with wine-tasting, etc).

Thanks for the comments!