Google

Monday, November 07, 2005

Sweet Tarts

Well... Halloween was done a week ago.

And yesterday, driving back from a trip to the Philadelphia area, I happened onto a station that was playing nothing but Christmas tunes until sometime in January. I'll say, for me, it was nice to hear "Frosty the Snowman", and "All I Want for Christmas is You". Heck, I sing "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" and "Jingle Bells" and "Deck the Halls..." all year long. Or, at least hum. Or, whistle. Unless I am at home, because it is frowned upon there.

But, back to halloween. Remember going trick-or-treating, and coming home with a sack of candy. We didn't do a lot of candy, most of the year, but trick-or-treating was pretty cool. Total strangers would give us candy just for coming to the door. Sure wish I could get other stuff that way.

There's a fellow here at work who fills a candy jar (actually a largish fish bowl) every day. I just grabbed a pack of sweet tarts. Remember opening them up, and hoping to get a green one, or whatever your favorite color was? I don't know if they all taste different, or if it's just in your head. In my case, I got two kinda off-white colored ones, and a blue one. They were tarty, but sweet. Wonder why they call them sweet tarts, anyway?

The other candy that I remember... I stumbled across some in someone's candy jar a couple of months ago. They are in a clear plastic wrapper, with dark lines striped across it. A peanut butter center, but a hard crunchy outer part. I forget what they are called... peanut butter logs maybe?

Back to sweet tarts, since that's the title of this bit of writing. Sweet Tarts. Well... I had some things I wanted to say about sweet tarts, but, well, they're just sweet tarts when it comes down to it. I could say life is like a pack of sweet tarts, but that line's already been taken.

Sometimes, it is though. I think it's more like sweet tarts than chocolate. Chocolate is messy and stuff when it gets hot. Sweet tarts are all right, but... even though they can be sweet, they're also tarty. I think life's like that. Life's not like a box of melted chocolates. Life's kinda hard and crunchy sometimes, not soft, like chocolates. So, hard and crunchy, both sweet and tarty, that's life.

Yep, I think that was more or less what I wanted to say. Have a nice day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was surfing the Arkansas blogs (I am new to the ring) to see what my neighbors had to say when I ran across your “Sweet Tart” philosophical ramblings. Alas – finally something important.

I reached in my shirt pocket to count how many Sweet Tarts I had at the moment and there were two yellow and six pink. Always been partial to the pink or strawberry or cherry or what ever they are. Second choice has always been the purple or grape I suppose. I am never without a Sweet Tart in my possession - never. I don’t personally like candy of any sort - with “two” exceptions of course - Sweet Tarts and the powdered version – Pixy Sticks.

They, Willie Wonka or Nestle or whoever is making them today, has just recently discontinued the small rolls of Sweet Tarts similar to the “Smarties”, which I can’t stand. Now we have chewy ones and gummy ones along with the new ones similar to the ones that have been around forever. They are now about twice the size as the original and packaged in packets – about sixteen to a packet. As usual, they just can’t leave a good thing alone.

As far as Halloween goes, if you come by my house you ain’t gettin’ my Sweet Tarts. If you want Sweet Tarts……go buy your own. And since I don’t like chocolate, then certainly for me life is like a roll of Sweet Tarts! (Ooops - sorry….packet of Sweet Tarts)

Alan G

Arkansawyer said...

Thanks Alan,

This one was a "rambler". Never know what's going to come out of my keyboard, but somehow, that was just what fit, considering I had just opened up that package of sweet tarts......

I kinda tend to post whatever I have a whim for on that day... I ran across this quote yesterday, and it kinda describes my blogging philosophy.

Speak what you think today in hard words and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

There's too many companies out there trying to "freshen up" their products and losing their identity in the process. I work for one of those.

If we show up on your doorstep, assuming you're still in God's Country (Arkansas) then we'll have driven about 1200 miles, give or take - so I'll expect at least one three-pack of sweet tarts!

Anonymous said...

Well, best I can figure that would be about one Sweet Tart for every 25 miles.

That seems fair enough....

Arkansawyer said...

Okay... Just had my morning share of it... 2 pinks and a yellow.