Google

Friday, August 11, 2006

True Story

UPDATE: I played the song twice on Friday despite the high pressure system moving in. The weather on Saturday and Sunday was awesome... Highs in the upper 70's to low 80's, blue skies, low humidity. But, we did still need rain, so I broke down and played it again, once, on the way home yesterday from work. At 5am this morning, I awoke to the sound of rain ... accompanied by a rumble of thunder. Don't know yet how much we'll have, but it's a welcome break to the dryness of late. 08/15/2006 05:30am

---------------------------
It's the middle of August already... I think back to my teenage days... and even then, this song was old. But it had a special magic, literally.

In the 70's Tanya Tucker made a hit of a song entitled Lizzie and the Rainman, based, I think, on a movie with a similar name (Google it, I am too lazy *smile*)... And in the 80's, when we'd have a long dry spell, or even a drought, I'd go find my Lizzie and the Rainman tape...

And, I'd drive my brother nuts by playing it over and over... I won't post the entire lyrics here, but you can visit this site (run by volunteers) if you're interested: Here

But the chorus goes:

Step back non-believers
Or the rain will never come
Someone start that fire a burnin
Somebody beat the drum
He said some may think I'm crazy
To make all these claims
But I swear before this day is over
You folks are gonna see some rain

Now... if you believed... IF you believed... and played the song over and over... it WOULD rain. It worked... It really did. We busted a few droughts in those days.

I've gotta say, what brought this to mind is that in June... I found a copy of this song... and started playing without regard to how many times. I did like the song. I DO like the song.

Here are the results of that carelessness:

http://arkansawyer.blogspot.com/2006/06/myo-park.html
http://arkansawyer.blogspot.com/2006/06/walk-in-park.html
http://arkansawyer.blogspot.com/2006/06/walk-in-park-2.html

It was one of the floodingest Junes in Pennsylvania in years and years....

A few weeks ago, when my son went to scout camp, it had been a bit dry. I warned him I was going to play the song, and I did, but only once or twice. Here is the results of that effort:

http://arkansawyer.blogspot.com/2006/07/my-first.html

And yes, he WAS camping in a tent in the woods that night.

-------------------------

Now... It's August... things are getting dry... the yard is beginning to crisp up............

I think it's time. What do you think???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could probably make enough money to retire if you could bring your "act" down here to your home state.

We need the cloud cover because of the heat and the rain because of the drought conditions.

Arkansawyer said...

:-) I might have to consider that... but all you need to do is find the song and play play play... (and yeah... don't let yourself doubt very much).

Anonymous said...

Hey,I'm back! :) You want to know something funny? Granny B and I were just talking about that song not long ago. She said you made her a tape of just that song on both sides and she played it over & over. This was right after Ted & Moe got married. She said ted took the tape & she hasn't seen it since. She also said she would really like another one! -Amber