Google

Friday, October 21, 2005

Celebration

I went to a celebration today.

It was not a happy celebration - at least, not for me.

It was a "home going celebration" for a friend. Almost a week ago, this friend, this man, left his shell of a body behind, and headed up to be with his Creator.

I didn't know Al as well as I should have known him. I worked with him, from time to time, including a trip up to Warminster, Pennsylvania during a disaster recovery test for our employer. Normally, though, I worked in a different building, a different shift. I have several excuses for not knowing Al as well as I should have.

I do know this, though. Al was a good human being. He was one of those rare people who always had time for a handshake and a big, huge smile. When I had the opportunity to work beside him, he was up and out, doing things, and couldn't stand to sit idle. He "took care" of things.

All throughout the words that were spoken at his celebration, I heard several names used to describe him, "a big man", "Big Al", "Big Dad". He was a big man.

As I sat there, and listened to the stories, viewed the photographs, most of all... listened to the music. I began to wish that I had gotten to know Al even better than I did. He always took the time to welcome me, to make me feel special, any time I visited his work area. I heard other folks from work here, say the very same thing. Of all the people who worked in that building - he was the one who would get up and go out of his way to give you a big smile, a warm welcome, no matter what he may have been working on, no matter what may have been on his mind, he took the time. He was... a BIG man.

I left the celebration today. A mix of thoughts and feelings. The music which he loved so much... it had helped soothe the sense of loss that we all felt. The music, was not of a sorrowful nature. It was quick. It was happy music. Upbeat music. Music with a personality like Al’s, that brought you a smile despite the situation. It was the first service I had ever attended, of any type, at a predominately black church, and it was very nice. I felt at home.

I am glad Al got to go Home. He was one of only a handful of people I have ever known, who truly typified, in my mind, "a good human being". All of us have faults, even Al. I am sure of it, even though I didn't know him well enough to see his. But he was one of those rare individuals who took the time to do good... to fix wrongs... to prevent wrongs from happening by reaching out and crossing the bridges which separate the good from the bad, and brought the good across those bridges and forced the bad away. He was someone who radiated kindness. If indeed there is a heaven, people like Al, and my grandfather, and Grandpap Collins, will be there. And, I know they're pulling for me, too.

I wish I was more like them. Maybe, someday, I will be.

No comments: