Google

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Magic Time Machine

Yesterday, a little part of me died.

Another piece was born.

The who-I-am of today, is not the same who-I-am which existed yesterday. That person is now who-I-was. I have changed. That person of yesterday is gone now.

Every day, we live, we breathe, we experience.

Those experiences, even the littlest things - but especially the big ones - change us in some small way. They meld together to shape a new person out of the raw material that was.

Have you ever had a "life-changing" experience? Of course you have, even if you answered "No".

Today, I worked on a problem. I learned something new. I became a new person.

Yesterday, I read a page in a book. That page affected me in some small way. I became a new person.

Have you ever wondered why you did something, an hour ago, a day ago, last week? How could you have ever done something so stupid, or brilliant? Yet, at the time, it seemed like a perfectly natural thing to do. The who-I-am that exists now, that person sees the event, the action, the reasons or excuses, in a different manner than who-I-was did. The who-I-am may wish to go back in time and change the past - to wipe out those thoughts, those actions, those mistakes, whether real or imagined.

But, what's done, is done. The best we can do today, is to look ahead to tomorrow, and try not to forget the lessons learned in yesterday, but at the same time - to quit living in yesterday, and push forward to a better tomorrow.

Who-I-was no longer exists. That person cannot change anything. The past, is past. There is no winding the clock backwards.

However, who-I-am has an enormous power to shape the future. The decisions you make today, the experiences you live today, those things will not only help to form who-I-will-become, but they will also create the world of tomorrow, and the next day, and, indeed, the rest of time. Who-I-am is here, and now, and has the privilege and the power to create a new tomorrow, and hopefully can create a better tomorrow using the lessons learned yesterday and today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes. Exactly right.