Google

Monday, June 26, 2006

Good Luck!



Up until the last week, it's been pretty dry here for the past month or so. Not a drought, but.. fairly dry. The grass was beginning to crunch under our feet.

Along about Wednesday night, I think, it rained pretty good, and was warm and mostly dry on Thursday... Then Thursday night, it rained pretty good, again, and the pattern was repeated. Friday night it started raining... And Saturday, I don't think it could quite make up it's mind... It rained some, and was dry some...

By Sunday, the rain had decided that it was here to stay. And, it rained all day long... Sometimes hard, sometimes soft.

Considering that by Thursday evening - the rain in some places around the area had been heavy enough during those overnight showers that we were under a flood watch, this rain is beginning to be a bit much.

A few years ago we had some pretty good water problems in our basement. When they built the house, they didn't bother with a sump pump - so I got the ole hammer drill and broke through the slab in the corner, then shovel and a five gallon bucket to dig and haul out earth to the required depth... and a sump pump we now have.

Along in there somewhere, I dug a trench across the back of the house and then down the sides.... so the runoff from the hill behind us might have a place to be diverted. And since that time, the most we have had downstairs has been a seep or two.. meaning, no more than a towel might wipe up.

Well, yesterday we hit that point... The sump pump had started running, off and on for a few hours, so I took the flashlight and started looking along the walls. Where I found a small puddle of water, I threw down the towel, and there it sits.

I was thinking that perhaps it would stop raining for a few hours.. And everything would catch up. But it appears that this isn't the case, as it continued to rain all night long, and a few times I awoke to the sound of it coming down hard.

I went down early this morning and still no more water. The pump is running for 15 seconds or so, then pausing for maybe another 40 while the "pit" refills. It seems to be holding it's own.......

So maybe, this little four leaf clover I found yesterday will do me some good, huh?

No comments: