Google

Monday, June 19, 2006

Translation Game

There are a number of online translation services now on the internet. That is, you can write a paragraph or a whole document of text, in your favorite language, and automatically translate that into another language. I stumbled across another blog site recently where they discussed this phenomenon a good bit, and pointed out that if you translate your text to another language, and then back again, you might just be surprised at the results.

To do this experiment, I am using Microsoft Word 2003, and after the text is fully typed in, I will click Tools… Language… Translate. The “lookup” feature is redirected to www.worldlingo.com where the translation actually takes place.

My “sample” text follows:

I am a country boy from Arkansas, who joined the Air Force after high school, spent a few years in the everything is bigger and better state, Texas, and a few years in the Deep South, living near the place where country music legend Hank Williams is laid to rest.

Somewhere in there, I moved to Oklahoma, the state sitting between where Texas blows and Kansas sucks (no vulgarity intended). After a couple of years of oppressive heat and record setting tornados, I decided that maybe Up North would not be so bad after all, and we packed up and moved to Pennsylvania, where the corn grows tall.

The valley where I live is nestled between two mountains, one of which has the Appalachian Trail running along the top. I grew up on a homestead nestled between two hills like that, but in a more remote and rural location. The climate here is similar, but a few degrees cooler.

The small town where I now call home makes me feel like it is the closest to home I have ever lived as an adult, even as the map tells me I live the farthest away. All in all, it is a nice place to be.


Translated to German and back again it reads:

I am a land boy of Arkansas, which connected the Air Force after High School, spent some years in everything am larger and better condition, Texas and some years in the deep south and live near the place, in Countrymusik legend the ball Williams am put, in order to stand still.

Inside somewhere there, I moved on Oklahoma, the condition, sit between, where Texas burns through and sucks Kansas (no Vulgarity intends). After a pair of years of the oppressive heat and the recording, which adjust Tornadoes, decided I that the north possibly up not were you, thus bad finally and we and after Pennsylvania moved packed above, in which corn grows highly.

Those lowers, in which I live, nest LED between two mountains, from which the Appalachian trace has to run along the top side . I buildup on a farmstead, which is between two hills as that , but in one far away and landmore economical position nest LED. The climate is something similar, but some degree of cooling device here.
The small city, in which I designate house now, educates me to feeling, as it is the nähste to the house, which I lived at all as an adult, even as the diagram me me avowedly, lives the furthest away. All in all, it is a nice place to be to.


Translating the original to Russian and back again produces:

I will be the boy of the country from Arkansas, which connected the Air Force after elder [klachchov] of secondary school, spent a little years in everything will be larger and more better position, Texas, and a little years in deep of south, living almost the place where of [motochok] Williams the legend of the notes of the country it is assumed.

Somewhere inside there, I moved [k] Oklahoma, to position sitting between where Texas it blows and Kansas sucks (absence of that intended vulgarity). After since the pair of the years of oppressive heat and index establishing [tornadoy], I solved that on the north was not upward possible therefore failure in the end of the ends and we packed upward and it moved to Pennsylvania, where the corn grows tall.

Valley where I live arranged conveniently between 2 mountains, by one of which it has Appalachian trail to break into a run along the upper part. I grew upward on homestead arranged conveniently between 2 hills as that, but in the more remote and more rural position. Climate will here be a little degrees the cooler of similar, No.

Urban type settlement where I now cause house makes with me [chyvstvo] as it by the closest to the house, I am which it always lived as adult, even as map tells me me it lives most distant be absenting. Everything in all, there will be by glorious place, it is which.


Chinese:

I am a village boy from Arkansa, will later be able to join the air force in the high school, will spend for several years in all is bigger and a better condition, Texas and several years in the south, will live nearby the place, country music legend hank Williams will rest.

Somewhere there, I moved to Oklahoma, sits place which blows in the between condition Texas, and Kansas sucks(Has not cared for vulgarness). In 23 years sultry and record establishment tornado, after I decided possible north not to have to be eventually, and therefore bad and we packed moved have approached Pennsylvania, the corn grew high.

The valley, I live am clung in two mountains, between one of them has Arab League Para to agree the Asian trail to run along above. I am clung in the homestead coarsening between two hills likely such, but in one more remote and countryside place. Here climate is similar, but several degree refrigerating machines.

The small town, I am called the family to be me now to feel, if it is most approaches me to live takes the adult the family, since the map tells me me to live most goes far away.

No comments: